Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First Day @ Melbourne

Hi ! Mom, my dear wife Jing Ying, my adorable son Zi Heng, my wonderful brothers and sis-in-law, my good friends and my respectable colleagues. I’m now at Melbourne, Australia. I’ll be attending the course at Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE (NMIT). The course duration is about 11 months.

On 31st January 2009, I have reached the Tullamerine, Melbourne International Airport at approximately 0645hrs via domestic flight from Perth. It took me more than 10 hours of flight from Singapore to reach Melbourne. There is no direct flight from Singapore if you are travelling on a budget airline. So, I have to do a transit at the Perth airport. The time in Melbourne is 3 hours ahead of Malaysia. (Please refer to the Clock System on your right).

There is supposed to be a representative from the Togoto which is a Airport Pickup Service Agent appointed by the institute to pick me up at the airport. But they didn’t turn up until I gave them a call. And the reason they gave me was, they couldn’t find the flight number in the website!! However, they still pick me up at the airport and ferry me to the hotel. Although I’m not quite impressed with their services but as long as I have reached my destination without much delay, I guess I can’t complaint much about it.



This is a 4.5 star hotel called Le Student 8 Hotel. As the named suggested, it is actually providing a temporary accommodation for overseas students. Besides providing accommodation for overseas students, they also offer rooms to the public as well. Le Student 8 is one of the hotels under the Rydges Group. They have another hotel inside the same compound which is a 5 star hotel and is called Bell City. It’s located at Preston, Northern Melbourne, about 12 kilometers away from the Melbourne International Airport.


As you are aware that the temperature in Melbourne for the past few days is incredibly warm and it’s even went above 4o degree celsius. But to me, I don’t really feel the heat maybe because of the wind. The temperature is high but it’s windy. So, I find it’s still OK with me besides I’m a tropical country guy.

By the way, I’ll be staying at Le Student 8 Hotel on a temporary basic. There will be an accommodation officer from NMIT to make arrangements for me on my permanent accommodation.

No comments:

Post a Comment